In the Gargantuan task of a company trying to manage its public image, it ends up spending money in hiring various people to manage the uphill task of doing so. Large organisations can manage it, but the smaller companies prefer to outsource individual agencies to do parts of the total package.
Publicity is needed for every brand in either the local market, or the international arena. Its just a matter of how much is needed and in what area!
For the uninitiated, Publicity covers the various methods to make public the activities one carries out. They are:
- Advertising via ATL / BTL methods: BTL stands for Below the Line which is all advertising that is done at outlet/retail level as well as direct marketing. ATL stands for Above the Line for advertising activities performed via traditional media, such as press, the tv, cinema, radio.
- Public relations – often referred to as PR – gains an organization or individual exposure to their audiences using topics of public interest and news items that do not require direct payment. Because public relations places exposure in credible third-party outlets, it offers a third-party legitimacy that advertising does not have. Common activities include speaking at conferences, working with the press, and employee communication.
- Online Promotions – using methods such as Social Media Marketing (for more on this contact Moksh Juneja (go on google him)) and SEO/SEM.
With professionals in these fields moving laterally across these arenas, the key point to remember here is that, they have a lot in common.
- Creativity – They all need professionals who have the innate ability to convert seemingly boring jargon into interesting information for the end consumer without altering the actual focus of the company. Some also need the ability to create imagery for the same – tough job
- They all use the same brief and the same guidelines.
So for a consultant to guide a client would be easier, since he has relevant experience in all fields, and is aware of the way things work, and can also define the best path to take with the least resistance, and the best output!
Ensuring that the company does not lose focus on its prime reason of existence, that is providing the service / product to the consumer, the consultant has to make sure that the company is represented correctly and has to manage the public image being created using the various tools he / she has in their power.
Hope to have shed some light in this area. Please do comment with your feedback and suggestions!